Wednesday, July 31

Expressive Expressions... Is it instinct or is it learned?

I have no idea how it was like for you growing up as a child, but for me, my childhood were filled with dreams, fantasies, stories of fairies, princesses, sword fights, elves, wizards... I flew high among the stars, I fought with big evil dragons, I danced with my prince charming... I had it all, I was what I wanted to be, I was basically a nerd. With my nose stuck in books after books of fantasies.

Besides my love for reading passed on to me by my father, I danced too. I took ballet classes since when I could remember. This love was passed down by my mother who said, "When I was young, I always wanted to learn Ballet but we were poor. Now I bring you to learn Ballet".

I remember my first lesson. I was wearing a dress and together with my sister, we went into this huge empty space brightly lit and full of mirrors. We were soon running around and before I knew it, we were taking Ballet classes. One month later would see a little me stubbornly refusing (for reasons that I couldn't fathom even then) to go into class, clingling tightly to my mother. Soon, I was going for Ballet class every Saturday, to sit and watch my sister take classes.

You would think that the teacher and dancer you see now would have taken to dance like ducks to water, but I didn't like dance when I first started.  In fact, I refused to take classes.  So my very kind teacher then allowed me to sit in the class and watch my sister and her dance mates learn all the steps.  It took a year for my mum to coax me back to join the class.  I have to thank my teacher, Ms Ho & my dear mum for their determination and persistence to put me into dance school.  (in hindsight, I really don't know why they were so persistent, but I'm thankful they were!)  After that, I fell in love with Ballet and the rest is history.

You would think that I was a great dancer from young... I was good, but not the best.  I was above average but not the best, at least I thought so.  I was a strong dancer (ok in terms of technique), but didn't have a clue about how to be expressive when dancing.  My teacher used to get a fellow student of mine to demonstrate 'expression' in class, while I was usually amongst those called out to demonstrate technique.  I used to look at her and wonder what did she have that I didn't, and why didn't I look like her?  It used to puzzle my little mind...

Things changed for me one day when I decided that I would play a little game everytime I danced.  I painted my fantasy world around me with each dance. I imagined that I was dancing in the most beautiful places: beautiful meadows, gorgeous waterfalls, etc.  The classroom faded out of sight and the music transported me into my fantasy world with sparkling sunshine, lush greenery, astounding snow-capped mountains and pristine lakes.  And suddenly, my teacher was praising me for having great expression and I was being called to demonstrate "expression".  I thought nothing of it, and was a bit sheepish that I was bored and hence distracted myself in class with this game... "So this is what expression is about?"  I asked myself, "just imagine that you have amazing scenery around you and get lost in that?"  It seemed so... superficial, I didn't dare say how I did it.

But it brought my dancing into a whole new level.  I scored the highest in class that year for exams (first time ever and I had been dancing for 4-5 years then).  I also won a junior Ballet competition that very year.  I was so young, I didn't even know what happened...  All I knew was that I could spin quite well because I had saw the prima donna in the Nutcracker dancing and was happily copying her at home and pretending to be her and doing all her spins and jumps; and I was daydreaming in class, trying to create (in my imagination) the best scenery to dance to.  Ahhh... the marvelous thoughts of a little child...

I guess all these experiences (and more) taught me some things about expression... You have to dare to do it; so long as you try, people will give you credit for trying and if you keep checking on your expression, you will get it the way you want it to look eventually.

Also, technique is only half the marks that the judge will give you.  You can have perfect technique, but that will only give you 50% of the marks.  The rest comes from your expression.  The way I see it, our steps are not perfect/complete unless your have the right 'feel' / expression in place.  Also, expression is something that is special because it comes from the heart; it's personal and unique.  No 2 people will have the same feel (unless they work very hard to look the same).

Many people are scared to express themselves when they dance, feeling vulnerable.  But i always tell them this:
1) People will give them credit for trying, and will support you for trying.  Your expression doesn't have to be perfect, you just have to try.  If you are good, others will compliment you; if it's not that good (yet), others will commend you for trying.  I have seen students who are 'favorites' when performing because their faces are so entertaining, and people cheer them on for putting on a good 'face', even though it is not the most perfect.

2) Practice it now, when you are training so that you can have a good guess how it will look like when you try to use it when you perform/ compete.  Many people put expression in the back burner, telling themselves that they will smile when they need to, and they always realize that it is not always the case when they see themselves later on video (it's too late by then though).

3) By trying to put at least some kind of expression, you will give me something to work on to correct you.  I can't comment, correct or teach you expression if you don't try.  If the face just clams up into what I call "zombie" mode, there is nothing to correct; expression is simply not there.  It's like me asking them to do a bodywave and them refusing to do it.  I can't correct it if I can't see it.

People kinda assume that expression is a given, it's instinct and it's either you have it or you don't.  Consider this: expressions (happiness, sadness, mischievousness) are controlled by muscles.  If you put in so much effort training your body muscles to perfect your techniques like spins, splits, jumps... Why can't you put in as much effort learning how to control your facial muscles?  Sure it doesn't look good when you first start, but neither did your spins or your bodywaves look good at the beginning.

Another food for thought: If expressions are natural and instinctive, then how to actors make a living?  Why do they go to acting classes? How do they make themselves cry/ be angry/ meek/ chirpy when they need to do so on screen?  Simply put, they practice them.  In fact, most acting classes contain a lot of practical exercises that focus on loosing your inhibitions and becoming less self conscious. 

No comments: