Thursday, December 21

The Singapore Salsa Congress 2006

It was soooo fun!!! I met so many foreign artistes and dancers! Cynthia conducted 6 workshops! Reggaeton was cool… It’s time to introduce that to Singapore. You can tell the differences between the countries: Taiwan is big on Reggae and Afro, and I love their Bachata! The way they merged their traditional folk dance with Salsa is also cool… I wonder if there’s a Singapore dance we can combine into Salsa? Joseph’s songs are to die for… He has a great taste for the music, and there’s lotsa variety in them, and all nice to dance to… Heehee! I can’t wait for Taiwan and Hong Kong Fest next year! *saving money*

I also danced with Sohel from Sydney, Jaxon and Fasil from KL… Very smooth dancers with a certain style of their own… Very charming, I must say. Albert from LA is a great lead, with a unique style of his own. His contrasts of slow and fast moves are my favorite type of dance style to watch, coz you never get bored. He also takes care of the gal very well, so no worries ladies! He very kindly taught a 2 hour Salsa class for us today at Thumper… Oh, did anyone watch his tango? Oohlala *drool*

Although I didn’t get to dance or see much of the dancing, being busy running around, it felt that everyone was enjoying themselves, dancing away. I saw great, big smiles everywhere. MOS was so crowded that people were dancing on the podiums! Yeah, the floor was not the very best of floors to dance, but who cares! We were all there to meet and dance with all the people, and boy did we all dance.

Thumper was great! The music was blaring, and we did a great Rueda performance there, despite not being able to hear properly. There was just barely enough space to perform the moves, haha! I liked that rueda performance… Mel, Terrence, Grace, Nigel, Arvind, Lucy, GeikLee, they all also put on fabulous shows for the competition. I was so proud watching how much effort they put in and how much they had improved!

I think this is one of the greatest accomplishments so far, having put up so many different performances (about 12 group dances in total?) this time around. I have to say, I’m so glad to be a part of this festival, where I can get to meet new friends from all over the world, catch up and dance with old friends from other countries, and dance together with all my Xen buddies in the performances. We put on a great show, and I can’t wait to watch the DVD!

No comments: